Beat the late night cravings
We all know that person who eats just about anything they want … Whenever they want. A burger here, a pastry there and maybe late night pizza fare. And they just don’t get FAT! Let alone gain a pound. In fact, they somehow eat late and lose weight too. UGH!! Well, we all can’t defy the rules of sensible eating and maintain a fit profile. So, below you will find several of my top suggestions, in no particular order, to beat the late night cravings and stay healthy. Cheers!
1. Hummus and veggies – Great snack for getting your vegetables in along with some protein. The crunch in the veggies, especially carrots can actually make this a fun snack to munch on, too. Limit how much hummus you eat, and try to only have 1/2 Tbs. on each little carrot stick.
2. Roasted nuts – Some people, like me, crave salty foods at night, and nuts are a wonderful option. Filled with lots of fiber, a small handful of nuts are just enough to keep you full. If you find that you want to keep “picking”, then have a glass of water before grabbing more.
3. Popcorn – my absolute favorite late night snack. Probably makes you think of loads of salt and butter. However, by eliminating the BS (Butter and Salt), it can actually work well to satisfy hunger in a healthy way. Instead of butter and salt, eat it plain or try adding black pepper, cayenne pepper, cinnamon to air-popped popcorn. It’s pretty low in calories and is also a good source of easily digested complex carbohydrates.
4. Greek Yogurt – add fruit, if you like, and you’ve got a low in carbohydrates and high in protein delicious snack to curb your late night cravings. Greek yogurt packs a big nutritional punch. It also keeps you full while simultaneously aiding in weight loss. And the fresh fruit adds an antioxidant boost. BANG!
5. Low-Fat Cottage Cheese – Like many other items on this list, low-fat cottage cheese is low in carbs and high in protein. It also has a ton of calcium. If cottage cheese on its own is too bland for you, try adding a couple of pear or apple slices, and for added protein sprinkle in a scoop of your favorite protein powder.
6. Fiber Cereal with Low-Fat Milk – Choose a healthy cereal that contains plenty of fiber, which will keep your body feeling full until morning. The combination of low-fat milk and nutrients in the cereal also give you a good dose of calcium, vitamin D and protein. Great cereal suggestions that are high in protein and low in sugar are Kashi brands and Fiber One.
By making a few simple adjustments to handle those late night cravings, we can rest easy knowing we won’t wakeup with regret from last night’s endeavors.